Writing tips from John Steinbeck:
1. Lose track of the daunting idea to write a book–just write one page a day.
2. Write freely and rapidly to increase flow and rhythm; don’t rewrite until finished.
3. If you are having trouble with a scene skip it and come back to it…even after you finished the whole.
4. If a scene becomes too dear to you–beware!
5. Try writing to one person–real or imagined–a generalized audience doesn’t exist.
6. Dialogue will sound more like real speech if said aloud while writing.